Monday, April 23, 2012

Pillow Talk

It's time for some pillow talk, literally. I have sorely neglected the kids' bedroom (and our own for that matter) since we moved in. They have dressers, they have mattresses on rails. These things are in a room that is surely 200+ square feet. Huge room, tiny stuff. 

Judith actually has a bed that I found at a thrift store when she was a wee one. We set her bed up when she got her twin mattress and when we moved I said, "let's keep it in the attic so I can paint it". It's now some 7 months later and where's the bed ... you guessed it. 

Another excuse for my procrastination (humor me here) is that I wanted to get a bed for Lennon too. Putting work into Judes bed and leaving Lennon out just didn't seem right. So last weekend as I am killing time in a neighboring town between photo shoots and I spot a bed frame outside a little antique shop. I went in, asked and ended up walking away with it for $10.00! 

Now all I can think about is painting the kids' beds and fixing their room up a little... it will still be sparse, but I think it will add some much needed personality. 

I asked Judith what color she wants her bed and she promptly decided on hot pink ... I'm so down for hot pink. I then asked Lennon and he's set on purple ... purple? I'm going to take them both to the paint store this afternoon and let them pick their colors. We'll see what Lennon chooses. 

Here are some inspiring kids rooms that are tiding me over until this afternoon when we actually start picking out colors! 


So, what do your kids' rooms look like? Any spectacular design advice for destructive urchins? 

7 comments:

  1. Hey, there's nothing wrong with purple! If my heart weren't blue it would most definitely be purple :o) I can't wait to find out what colors were chosen. Oddly enough I'm down for the hot pink too so I hope Judith stuck with it. I can't wait to see!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! I should have guessed you'd say that, Liz. Jude indeed stuck with hot pink and Lennon ended up choosing bright yellow, calling it purple. He's still sorting out his colors (which I suspected to be the case), but you're right ... nothing's wrong with purple!

      Delete
    2. Do Jude and Lennon share a room? If so that hot pink and bright yellow are going to look so great together!!!!

      Delete
  2. Your post and photos have me longing for the days when I had more creative control over my kids' rooms. They are now teens, and, well--slobs. (I'm sayin' that with love.) Just last night I was saying to the other adult in the house, "I have no motivation to work on the kids' rooms. They will just trash them, and they don't really care if we fix them up." Oh well. Less cute but more time and money to spend on my room! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rita, I think I know what you're talking about even though my littles are still little. They are destructive. I bought them a kidney table and chairs at a flea market and their favorite thing to do with the chairs is to over turn them and throw them ... 2 and 4 years old and they like throwing chairs, i fear their teen years! I'm happy to hear you are using your time and money towards your own room :) that's the way to do it!

      Delete
  3. Love all these photos! I found your blog through PicMonkey - are you part of the team? I read your bio and Googled your blog, and sure enough, here it was! I love your photography and your blog is lovely. New follower! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kate, I'm so glad you found me! I used to live in Seattle and worked for Picnik. When Picmonkey branched off this spring they contacted me and I contribute photos here and their to them. I love the app and use it constantly, I never thought anything could be better than Picnik, but it wouldn't be the first time i was wrong :) ... glad to have you here!

      Delete