Tuesday, April 24, 2012

It's Not Just About Diving, It's about Swimming.

And when I say diving I'm referring to the dumpster variety. I admit, I didn't actually do any digging through dumpsters today (not that I would pass up the chance), I usually find most of my second hand treasures in thrift stores, salvage organizations, or junk yards. Digging through a burn pile or trash in the country is not something I would recommend (unless you have permission). Trash is often times up for grabs in a city environment, but in the country ... it's not advisable to set foot on private property unless you know the person living there, otherwise you may find yourself in a scary situation with a red neck. Yep, I said red neck, they do exist and they can be scary ... I hate to stereotype, but this one's for my own safety. I digress, and to return to my original point ... I dived, and now I am swimming in a sea of second hand treasures. 

A $100 bill, a Suburu Forrester, and a day to myself in Amish country, and this is what happens. My loot: 


I'm pretty stoked on everything that I got ... I am so stoked, in fact, on a little wire shelf/stand, that I brought it inside and didn't even picture it here, woops! Everything together cost me about $95.00. I will fix everything and sell it, except the chicken dish (on the desk that is barely visible) ... that's today's fav buy. Our garage is now totally packed with stuff and my poor husband is trying his very hardest to act excited for me. I know on the inside he has a deep concern that he married a hoarder. He did, sort of, but at least I make it an art :) 

I have to admit I LOVE the new desk, but it has serious veneer issues (which I swore I was going to stay away from for awhile). It seems that chipping veneer is going to be an unavoidable part of my life, I can live with that. The other pieces are small and will be quick projects, regardless I will be busy for the next 2-3 weeks. You can find me in our garage ... with my sander buzzing. 

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Liz :) I had a feeling you would like that ... It's cool because it's from the U of I so it's an adult size .. it also has all the astrological signs carved into the desk, and two pieces of gum stuck to the bottom :D

      Delete
    2. Woah! I love that the astrological signs are carved into it, do you think you'll keep them there? HaHa you can totally get rid of the gum though! Who knows how old that stuff is....

      Delete
  2. YES! What great finds! I am sooo jealous, I am in need of a dumpster diving road trip soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Darby ... I was dying to get out on the road. I love Amish land ... I actually ended up making my way up to Champaign too and checked out the ReStore there that you told me about ... woah! I'll definitely be back there

      Delete