This table was scored free when Brett and I called on a Craigslist posting, we bought a few things and the guy threw the table in for free. It was in such disrepair ... I wish he could see it now!
I started by pealing off the veneer (from the top and bottom) wich was already coming off badly in some areas. I liked the way the wood under the veneer looked so I decided to give the legs a distressed look and leave the top wood for an organic/farmhouse look. Removing the veneer actually proved to be extremely difficult in some areas and took hours. I don't think I will be doing that again soon! On the bright side it was an opportunity to work out all my inner aggressions :)
I painted the legs and bottom of the table top in a cream and then took my sander too it with 220 grit paper for the distressing. Once the veneer was removed from the top and bottom of the table I sanded it with 80 grit and then finished it with the 220. I then used water based polyurethane to coat the top.
This table is sturdy, but definitely rugged and charming. I love how thin it becomes when the leaves are dropped. I am more than happy with the final result, it feels good to save something like this!
I'm linking up today to Primitive & Proper today! Go check out other furniture repair projects there this week!