Thursday, February 23, 2012

Happy Birthday Brett!

Brett's 29th birthday is on Saturday. It's pretty unreal how much has happened in such a short amount of time. This picture was taken on Brett's 24th birthday about 30 days after our first date, I was 21 at the time. Right after we snapped this shot, we stepped out on to 1st ave in Seattle and walked to Shiro's for a wonderful Sushi dinner. It was my first time EVER having nigiri, and I have to admit that I was pretty shocked and borderline disgusted, but I didn't let on considering sushi is Brett's favorite food, and I was working tirelessly to impress him. That's been 5 years ago this weekend, and I think we'll go out for sushi again. 

I remember the first time I saw Brett. It was right before Christmas in 2006, he was sitting in the Starbucks store that I worked in at the time. He was being interviewed by our manager and I was thinking to myself, oooo a new guy. I was working at the end of the bar and standing all flirtatiously smiling and trying to attract his attention. At the time I didn't realize that he didn't live in Seattle and was just visiting. A week or so after that I saw his name appear on the New Year schedule. He started working at our store on January 10 (a couple days after he made the move to Seattle). I had convinced him to go to an art gallery with me by January 19th. Im just the kind of girl that knows what she wants. I basically fell in love with him immediately, Im pretty certain it's as close to love at first sight as it gets. 


I remember being in such bliss, feeling so free and happy. 


By October that year we were pregnant with our sweet girl. When I found out I was pregnant that June, Brett and I really didn't hesitate to embrace it. After knowing each other for just a few months we knew that we had the strength to bring a baby into this world. I guess when it comes down to it, you don't need years to decide you're meant to be with someone, your heart knows instantly. Im not saying that it was easy, and im not saying that I wasn't a crazy pregnant lady ... because I totally was. 


A year after Jude was born, we tied the knot. We had a tiny wedding on the countryside in Montana. We just wanted to get married, we didn't want to spend a ton of money, invite people we didn't know, or make a big spectacle over our commitment. When it comes to sharing your life with someone, the best part is sharing your lives together, not the wedding you will be paying off for the next 5 years. 


About 2 months after getting married, we were pregnant with Lennon (this time totally planned). We were both working insane hours and doing everything we could to support each other and our kids. I like this photo because it's a full family portrait (see jude in bottom corner). 


Here we are now. I feel like we're a million years older than we were in the first photo (but as you can see Brett has only gotten handsomer). I hope every 5 years gives us this much growth, love, and unpredictability. I can't imagine growing old with any other person in the world. If anything would have happened differently in the story of our lives, we would have ended up finding each other in another place at another time. 

Brett, you make me feel alive. Thank you for having me. Happy Birthday! 

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday to Brett! Oh my goodness this post brought tears to my eyes, I can't remember the first time I met Brett but I feel like it wasn't until you two made the move to Ballard. But I do remember the day you told me you were going on a date to an art gallery. And I do remember you telling me you and Brett weren't supposed to be dating because you worked together and it was against the rules! I was also there when you realized you might be pregnant with little miss Jude. Those days seem so long ago and I'm glad I can remember being in your life for that part of the story. I love y'alls story and I can only hope to have one just as lovely to tell one day. You two are amazing!

    ReplyDelete