Thursday, January 26, 2012

Carrot Cake




Okay, so something I haven't told you is that I've been failing all week at making carrot cake ... I've never made a homemade carrot cake before and it took some trial and error to find the right recipe. But finally, after force feeding my family with variations of carrot cake all week long, we've found a recipe that we all love, yippee! The recipe is adapted from an all recipes post.



  • 2 cups white sugar
  • 3/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk
  • 2 cups grated carrots
  • 1 (15 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional) 


  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x3 inch round baking pan. Set aside.
  1. In a large bowl, mix together sugar, oil, eggs, vanilla, and buttermilk. Stir in carrots, coconut, vanilla, and pineapple. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt; gently stir into carrot mixture. Stir in chopped nuts. Spread batter into prepared pan.
  2. Bake for 55 minutes or until toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean. Remove from oven, and set aside to cool. 
  3. Once completely cooled, frost that bad boy! I recommend homemade cream cheese frosting, which is what I used, but any frosting will do. 

It's the power of buttermilk, I'm telling you ... don't underestimate the power of buttermilk. You can also throw in a cup of raisons and/or coconut flakes depending on your preference. I hope you try it and enjoy it! I was so pleasantly surprised when both my kids snarfed it down ... They usually stay away from cakes with healthy things like carrots in them, even if it is cake. 



Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Yumm! Can I please have a carrot cake cupcake sent to my house? Thanks :) I've never tried to make a carrot cake, it always seemed rather difficult for some reason. I like how you force fed it to your family haha and I'm glad you finally found a recipe you liked. I like thinking about you testing out recipes and then somehow making them your own, so one day you can hand them over to your kids and when they're all grown up they will say something like "oh this is my mom's secret recipe for moistalicious chocolate cake. it's amazing, i know!" or something like "my mom made the BEST carrot cake I've ever had in my life" And then they'll pass the recipe along to their little family or make it for their friends. I can't wait for your next post Martha... oh! I mean Chelsea! :o) You're awesome.

    ReplyDelete